Thursday, February 17, 2011

In Sickness and Test

I am going to blame it all on the weather, the rash of sickness that has swept through our house. Not terrible, off-to-see-the-doctor sick, but just the irksome sniffling, sneezing, runny nose, I'm tired as hell-but-can't-sleep-lying-down kind of sickness that comes with having snow one week and 60 degree weather the next!

And in that context, Hubby and I are taking care of each other. Seems the kids are doing a little better than us old foggies. Which explains why the rest of the house is asleep and I'm awake, drinking a hot cup of Butterscotch Caramel Toffee tea and making a late-night blog post. But if I was needing to go anywhere, I can do so now, LEGALLY!!!

You see, long story short, I let my license expire. And once expired, you have to re-take your drivers examine. The written test AND the road test. Two weeks ago, I started this process. Seems that things still move pretty slow in Alabama. To begin with, no one took the time to notice that my licence was expired. By the time they noticed, it was too late in the day to take the road test. This was on a Thursday. I return on Friday for the road test ( I had been calling the office for about 2 hours with no answer) It was raining that day, so no road test would be performed. I was able to take the written ( had to take it twice, but made a 100 the second go-around). They did make an appointment for me to take the road test for this past Wednesday. And lucky enough, Hubby was off that day and drove me to the facility. After another long wait, I finally was in the car with my instructor. The first thing she asked was for me to put the car in drive, activate the emergency brake and release the foot brake. Background info: We paid $900 for this car. It's a 1998 Chevy Blazer, green. I have nicknamed it Gobi. Supposedly for Gobi, the Green Goblin. Bust after all the trouble it has caused us to get it running properly, it's now Gobi, the Green Gremlin! And wouldn't you know it, that car just keep on going once I released the foot brake!! FAILED!! However, she was really sweet and said we could either see about getting the emergency brake fixed or asking a friend the use of their vehicle. Luckily, Hubby is in the Automobile parts business and just so happens to be good friends with a repair shop around the corner. Off we went, the three of us, Hubby, me and Gracyn. We get tot he shop, they hop underneath the truck, turn a few wrenches and it works. Hop back into the truck and return for the road test. As we pull up to the facility, Gracyn looks out her window and says, "On no, not again!" Life should always be as simple as a Two-year-old sees it!
I passed. Had a few "rolling stops" and didn't get the parking along a curb on a hill, but I passed. So now I am legal. Again. And I was so glad Hubby went with me. Originally, he thought he was going to have to work that day and my neighbor was going to take me. But as luck would have it, he got to take me and we went out for yummy bad-for-your-health burgers and fries at 5 Guys. And is was SO GOOD!

So, even in sickness, and in test, I'm glad he's around! And I didn't tell you the good news yet. He just celebrated a birthday...on February 12 he turned the Big 40! Still a baby as far as I'm concerned. I'm a cradle-robber apparently, by about 3 years. Who really cares, age is just a silly number. You should enjoy each day to it's maximum potential, no matter what your age. But it does help when you have two kids under the age of 10 to keep a sunny outlook on life. I just hope I can always remember to look at things through their eyes.

Goodnight,







1 comment:

  1. Gotta love the DMV.
    Hope you'll all be well soon and stay that way. I'm not much of a tea drinker but that sounds pretty good.
    Susanne.

    ReplyDelete