Thursday, January 28, 2010

Artful Thursday ~ Week 4

I happened upon a wonderful new blog, The Adventures of Bluegirl, and the owner, Julie, is hosting a fun event every Thursday called Artful Thursdays. The object being to have a dedicated day to work on one of the languishing projects that has been hiding in the back of your closet, tucked away in a little shoe box, or gathering dust in the garage. Sorry I missed the first three (I might still try to play catch-up) but I did get something ready for today.

Rosette Ornament

I ♥ books, especially old ones. I have amassed quite a collection, and have used them for decorating purposes but have been somewhat stumped about anything else to do with them. And for awhile now I have seen these beautiful rosette ornaments made from vintage sheet music. Well, just the other day, I got the idea to make some ornaments using my vintage encyclopedias for the 1950's! Sorry I don't have all the pictures to the steps, I started this project prior to finding out about Artful Thursday, but I did manage to get a few pictures of the key steps. Enjoy!

I adore the cover of this set of encyclopedias, not sure what to do with those yet.



Very careful, remove a page from the book. And start folding...and folding...and folding. Might want to turn on a favorite movie while doing this. Or listen to XM Chill Channel, love that music...A tranquil mood with attitude!



Once you are done with the folding, glue the seams together.



I decided to try and make a crepe paper rosette also, so I will be layering that over the encyclopedia page.



I had thought that making these for friends and family with their initials on them would be great, so I did this one for my Mamma, Judith.


I had to handcut the circle with the "J", as you can see here I started with scalloped scissors, but that did turn out very well. Think I will stop by the craft store and look at the circle punches. And I'll glue a little piece of ribbon for a hanger...


Do you like it? I have so many extra books, I think I might make some of these to put in Grace Goods, - Yes, No?

Thanks for joining me on my first Artful Thursday. And a HUGE Thank You to Julie for hosting this wonderful event! Now be sure to check out her blog for her crafty idea (she has some amazing stuff!) and the other participates! Have an "ART"-ful Day!

1 comment:

  1. Superb - I have these hanging in my studio that spell out my name - love rosettes made from old paper and schtuff...

    glad your playing along...thannks for visiting my blog - see you next Thursday...

    have a great weekend
    xo
    tina
    embellishments by tina

    ReplyDelete